Pole pas de deux

Pole pas de deux

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pictures In a Scrapbook

For me pole dance is all about dance. It is all about expressing the emotions I feel with my body. The majority of my life on the planet has revolved around science, logic and being able to prove a point with hard numbers. I didn't dance until I was in my early fifties. I only learned a few months ago that if I looked somewhere into my dance space while I was dancing that I needed to really "see" before the line was complete.

I have loved music since I was very young. I can tell you the exact place I was in my hometown the very first time I heard Johnny Cash sing Ring of Fire in 1963. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Mazzy Star, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, and Neil Young are vivid examples of music that moves me from deep inside.

Each song is a picture in a scrapbook. When I open the scrapbook of my life sometimes a picture falls out on the floor. Some are triumphant. They will live forever as signs of happiness, contentment, and sometimes accomplishment. Others like the picture my mother took of me and the girl I lost my innocence with are bittersweet and wistful. There is this huge playlist of mine that has turned bittersweet and wistful.

I won't stop dancing to those songs. But they will be changed forever. Pictures in a scrapbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment