Pole pas de deux

Pole pas de deux

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Two Things Pole Dance Classes Have That Ballet Class Needs


This month marks my second year as a ballet dancer. It is no secret that I really enjoy ballet and the way it has made me a better pole dancer. I do have to say that I have a few things that ballet could learn from pole dance.

  1. FREESTYLE! All ballet dancers know the syllabus: plie, tendu, degage, frappe, ron de jamb, battement, plie-releve (till it hurts), barre stretch, center, reverence. Wouldn't it be nice to just cut loose like the Modern classes do for warmup? Freestyle is what makes pole dance awesome. I know. I know. Ballet is like Mr. Miyagi teaching Daniel Larusso karate in the movie Karate Kid. Mr. Miyagi makes Daniel sand the floor, and wax on... wax off... until he is too sore to move. At the end of his first "lesson" when Daniel is discouraged, Mr. Miyagi shows him all that he has learned. I get it. But when do I get to dance my version of the Nutcracker Prince to Guns and Roses?
  2. NEW MUSIC! I have been listening to the same barre music for two years now in one of my classes. We finally got some new music two weeks ago. One piece. Chopin's Nocturne in E flat major, Op 9 No. 2  It was for barre stretch?? No and hell no! I want to do the pas from In the Night.
I wonder if City Ballet would feel the disturbance in the force if I just started doing 1/2 turn pirouettes during the next barre stretch? Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks would be playing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment