Pole pas de deux

Pole pas de deux

Monday, August 13, 2012

Sooner or Later

I have a good friend and scientific mentor that I reconnected with a few months ago on Facebook. As many of you know I can be a real porcupine at times. I am just as vocal about my politics as I am about dance. Today in conversation my friend mentioned that after I retire from my job as a research meteorologist I should start a blog. In response I posted the link to this blog. So if you came here from the blog of a well known research meteorologist and storm chaser this is it. You just fell down Bob Zamora's rabbit hole into the wonderland of what I do when I'm not thinking about the atmosphere. I'm a dancer, and ice hockey player.

My friend is an an awesome photographer and he can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Pink Floyd. Einstein loved to sail and play violin. Dick Feynman was one hell of a bongo player and artist. He signed his work "Ofey" because he wanted Ofey to live a life outside Quantum Electrodynamics. They tell me Kerry Emanuel is quite a pianist. I know that Fred Sanders (How I miss that man.) joked about sailing and running aground on his own beer cans. Society tends to think of scientists as these one dimensional people who wear white coats and fill chalkboards with equations. Some of us are more than that. Some of us are not. I will always be first and foremost a scientist but I have always loved art, history, and music.

I am coming in touch with a very spiritual side of my life. Not everything I want to say can be expressed in words and mathematics. I could say that I am becoming a dancer. But that would be wrong. I have always been a dancer. I just didn't know it. The older I get the more I am convinced that our muses choose us. I was born to touch the wind and I was born to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment